Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Big Reveal: My FINISHED Quilt!

Well...here it is!!!!

Ta-da!!!!!
Here's the back.
You guys, I seriously feel like I just finished a marathon!  I feel like I'm on some sort of running high; a quilting high, I guess.  I'm an old lady.  I am so glad this project is over but I feel so good about having done it at the same time.  Will I make another "big quilt"?  You bet your britches I will.  Will I have a little break before starting my next "big quilt"?  Yup.

The finished quilt measures 58 1/2" square. Big enough for me to be wrapped comfortably in it, but not so huge that I'm drowning in it.  Here are some of the steps that went into making my "big quilt" dream come true:

Cutting lots of fabric and sewing together 32 of these bad boys.
Taping fabric to the floor and making a quilt sandwich.
Putting 192 safety pins in it...Michael counted them.
Machine quilting the beast.  Lots of frustration here...and learning!   :)

There were some other steps in there, like hand-stitching the binding around the edges (while watching several episodes of PBS's Downton Abbey), but you get the gist of it.  Now that I've finished it, I like to keep it in view at all times.  I've thrown it over beds, chairs, the couch, etc.

  
Someday I will probably get sick of looking at it, but I'm nowhere near that point yet.  Now, I'd like to give a shout-out to the women before us, who did all this stuff BY HAND.  My hats are forever off to you ladies.  

Wish I had this hat.

Before I bid you farewell, I wanted to share my favorite picture of the quilt with you all.  

Slam and Paul Terry approve.


4 comments:

  1. it looks GREAT!! woohoo! can't wait to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooooo proud of you, Ree! This is really something. :) It looks great, and I am so glad Paul Terry and Slamantha approve. haha. How long did it take to make? I LOVE the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, Ree! I agree with Adam - the color scheme is beautiful! Both of our grandma's used to make lots of quilts and when each one of us grandkids got married, we got to pick one out. It was such a fun tradition. Quilts are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! Adam, I'm not sure how long it took to make, but many hours for sure. I was wondering that myself, so next time I make a big quilt I'm going to "log my hours" so I know.

    Sara, that's an awesome tradition with your granny's quilts. If this one holds up long enough to be passed down to a grandchild, I'll be amazed!! haha

    ReplyDelete