Pages

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Five Minute Friday: Release

START.

Catch and release.  Fishing…catching lightning bugs.  I love to do both of these things.  Fishing is a peaceful experience if you don’t think about the gross parts. 

I remember running around my grandma and grandpa’s backyard with an old Jiffy jar trying to catch lightning bugs.  My brother and I usually made quite a haul.  Back then, I used to love the part when I could rip off their rear ends and make beautiful glow-in-the-dark jewelry for myself.  Seriously…who thought of that?  “Hey, how about we tear the lower half of this bug off, smear it on our fingers and call it a diamond?”  Usually, though, I think Mom made us let them go.  Probably because she didn’t want to deal with a jar full of dead bugs in the house the next morning; who can blame her?  They’re pretty to look at, flying around in the sky at night.  I feel like I see less and less of them these days, even when I am back at home in the Boro.  Hope they stick around for a while.


STOP.



Five Minute Friday is a weekly one-word writing prompt by Lisa Jo Baker.  You have five minutes to write whatever pops into your head.

3 comments:

  1. We are seeing lots of lightening bugs in West Virginia this week. They are beautiful! I love seeing them sparkle and twinkle all across the yard. - Sarah, stopping by from Five Minute Friday. (I hope this doesn't double post. I thought I had posted this, but it did not show up...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too loved the lightning bugs of my childhood. Thanks for sharing your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use to catch lightening bugs in a jar when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete